How to solve PING: Transmit failed General Failure
Most of us encounter this error message, “PING: Transmit Failed General Failure” for sure once in a while when we are connected to some network. Basically, PING is a valuable tool for troubleshooting all sorts of network or Internet problems. A ping command is used to send packets of information to devices on a network or the Internet to find out if they are available for connection. In Windows 8, the error message “Ping: Transmit Failed General Failure” appears if the computer doesn’t have the proper Internet protocol selected. You may select TCP/IPv4 or TCP/IPv6 in the control panel of your computer.
The ping request is send from the Command Prompt of the computer. Open Command Prompt, type Ping and the IP address or the domain name of the address. For instance, type “Ping www.nettraffic.com “ or “ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx “ and as soon as you press enter, your computer will send four packets of information at one-second intervals.
A ping response is also generated that shows results for each returned packet on four separate lines showing the round-trip time in milliseconds, thereby giving you a summary of the packets lost, along with the fastest, slowest and average times. If the target doesn’t respond, each line shows “Request Timed Out.” If the computer has the wrong TCP/IP setting, in Windows 7 and Windows 8, the message reads, “PING: Transmit Failed General Failure.” In Vista, it reads, “PING: transmit failed, error code 1231.” It indicates that you have the wrong TCP/IP setting. In earlier Windows versions, it reads, “Destination Host Unreachable.”
Basic causes that generally call this error , PING : Transmit Failed General Failure?
- DNS and other socket issues.
- Mis-configured Firewall.
- Outdated Network drivers or firmware.
- Other software or hardware errors.
How to fix this “PING: Transmit failed General Failure” issue?
Here are some of the few quick steps to fix this issue :
Command Prompt Troubleshooting :
We can use the following commands of the Command Prompt to handle this:
- netsh int ip reset c:\tcp.txt
- netsh winsock reset
- ipconfig /flushdns
Type every command on the Command prompt and press enter and after every command reboot your computer.
Update your Modem Driver:
Many a times it happens that the Internet connection issues arise due to the use of outdated modem driver installed in user computer. In that case, the first thing you need to do is to upgrade the modem driver installed on your computer. Steps for the same are:
- Click on Start.
- Click on Control Panel.
- Go to Hardware and Sound (in Category view).
- Click on Device Manager (listed under Devices and Printers).
- Check for modem/adapter.
- Right Click on the icon .
- Click on Update Driver Software if you are going to update the adapter driver with the latest version.
- Click on Uninstall, if you are going to uninstall driver software.
- Select the option to find latest driver software.
- Disable Firewall (other security programs ) and check for the issue: Sometimes you may get this error message “PING: Transmit failed General Failure” when firewall stops packets.
- Power Cycle of the entire network : Power Cycling is the process of turning off and turning on networking devices in a systematic order. It is an extremely effective way to handle network related issues.
- Perform System Restore to last known good configuration.
So, these were a few hacks to handle the “PING: Transmit failed General failure” in the best possible way.
You may be facing Google Docs not loading